Saturday, March 19, 2011

Her Trip - Macau & Hong Kong (Part 2)

After having been in Hong Kong for the second time, I can still say that I love the place!

The hotel we stayed at, Casa Hotel, was strategically located near Yau Ma Tei MTR station. It was literally just a few steps away from one of the station's exits. At HKD 500 a night, it was rightly priced. The hotel was modern and clean. Downside to it was that it's size was just at around 10 square meters. It was not small. It was tiny. There wasn't room to walk around. The bathroom, just divided by a frosted glass partition, was literally part of the room. The bathroom only had space for the sink and toilet, and the shower nozzle was just hung by the sink. Taking a bath left the entire bathroom wet.

Land space in Hong Kong is apparently so expensive, thus the small spaces. But it wasn't too bad. I've previously been to a hostel, and the size was more or less the same. Difference was that the hostel felt like you were in a horror movie. The very old building elevator creaked when it opened and closed, and it made weird noises all the way up. The room still had old huge, square mouldings where, upon looking up while in bed felt like you were inside a coffin.

It was still Winter when we were there, but donning long-sleeved turtlenecks and boots made the weather tolerable, and it's fun. Living in a tropical climate, we don't get to dress up for Winter. Another fun part of the trip were the subways. I just enjoy riding them! The racing to catch the next train, and the beating other people to make the ride, it's tiring but I get an adrenaline rush.

Buses though are a different story. I feel nervous not knowing where to get off. We took a few rides though, but I was with my better-half, and I had nothing to be nervous about. He's good at navigating around.

Walking from one place to another is another thing I love when on trips. Though I don't really enjoy it back home, it's a different thing being in a foreign place. I feel that you get a closer feel of the place. Walking gets to a point where I could feel my legs about to fall off. But one foot right in front of the other over and over, and it becomes almost mechanical. Back pains and a bloody toe did not stop me at all. I'm not quite sure how my better-half felt about all the walking.

We had the third series of pre-wedding photo shoots in Hong Kong. We found a local photographer, and I believe we got along well with them (him and his friend) as I had fun! From the temple in Yau Ma Tei, to one of the subway stations, to Tsim Sha Tsui area and finally the Peak, we went to various locations. And truly, we got a lot of Hong Kong pics.

One thing I miss about the trip are their wanton noodles. After meals of having them and after seeing how they were prepared*, I switched to the usual rice and viand, and it's one of the things I regret doing. I crave their wanton noodles. I'm craving them as I write this post. Wanton noodles here back home don't come close.

I look forward to going back to Hong Kong. Though the usual attractions like Disneyland and Ocean Park are out of the list (we hate theme parks), there's still a lot to see. I also like that the place is vibrant and so full of life (blame the thick crowd). And since it's just a short flight away, going back is not impossible.

* It wasn't so sanitary.

No comments:

Post a Comment